2016 already, huh?
Let’s recap my 2015 resolutions and see how I did:
- Achieve the following running goals:
- 5k: sub 25mins – nope
- 10k: sub 50mins – nope
- Half marathon: sub 2hrs – nope
- Do at least 20 parkruns, ideally seeing an improvement over the year – nope, I managed 12, with fairly consistent times
- Compete in at least 3 triathlons – yes! Three completed: sprint, olympic and half ironman
- Keep all 10 toenails intact – yes! It was a close run thing and my feet are terribly ugly but all toenails are present and correct
- More cycle touring! More adventures! – certainly lots of adventures but unfortunately no cycle touring
- Try something new – maybe orienteering? – I tried lots of new things (new job, new city, new boyfriend) and some of them worked out but some of them didn’t… those that didn’t, I fixed and tried something else new, meaning another new job starting soon!
- After totally nailing quite a few moves in swing dancing last year (I’m now quite happy with my swingout) I want to go social dancing more and then not be shy when I get there! – I gave this a go (even going social dancing the day of a half marathon) but once I moved city I found it hard to go at all as I was always working
- Be bold, be brave! – at times, I think I probably was
I’ve been thinking about my 2016 goals, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to the below – you may notice some similarities with last year…
[NB. I know that new year’s resolutions are a bit silly, and that making resolutions at this time of year doesn’t make them any more effective. And I know that setting myself arbitrary goals isn’t necessarily the path to happiness (from experience, I know I use (failure to achieve) these goals as a stick to beat myself with). And of course I know that every year throws up a load of stuff you can’t predict in the first few days of the year. So this is more a general framework for the year than anything too tangible.]
- Do more running (at least 5 half marathons and maybe a marathon), faster times obvs.
- 20 parkruns.
- At least three triathlons.
- Ride my TT bike instead of being scared of it.
- Go cycle touring!
- Move in with my boyfriend (OMG PROPER ADULT TIME).
- See my friends and family more instead of hiding away when things are tough.
- Would like to lose some weight/be a bit more toned.
- Be bolder, be braver…