Even though the beginning of a new calendar year shouldn’t mean anything, I do like making new year’s resolutions. And yes, it’s beyond twelfth night but better late than never…
- Read more!
Last year I read 14 books, which is disappointing. I used to read voraciously
- Run more!
In 2016 I ran 1,203 km (747 miles), despite spraining my ankle twice and losing all motivation. This year I’d like to run more than that, though I’m not too fussed about the actual distance. To kick it off, I’m going to run every day in January, like I did last year.
- Run better!
I didn’t improve on any of my PBs in 2016, so they’re still as follows: 5k 25:52, 10k 57:01, half marathon 2:05:13, marathon 5:08:00. I’d like to improve on at least one of these.
- Work more sensible hours!
I get paid to work 9-5, yet I’m frequently in the office at 7pm. It’s not good for me, and makes me more stressed as I keep piling work up on myself. I’ve only got 8 full weeks left at work, and I’m going to try to keep to 9-5.30 (being realistic – I’m never going to be able to leave at 5 as although working late is discouraged out loud, culturally, it’s very difficult to leave on time). Once I start my new job in China, I’m going to try to keep to my hours, though I hear that can be difficult as teachers are often pressured to work longer hours than they get paid for.
- Study Chinese more!
I’m doing HSK2 next month and by the end of the year would like to have done HSK3 as well as improving my spoken Chinese, and confidence using it.
- Don’t be so hard on myself!
It’s been mentioned by a few people that maybe I’m a little hard on myself. So I’m going to try to be a bit nicer to myself, maybe like myself a bit more. I’m not really sure how to do this without sacrificing standards, but I’ll give it a go.
2016 already, huh?
Let’s recap my 2015 resolutions and see how I did:
- Achieve the following running goals:
- 5k: sub 25mins – nope
- 10k: sub 50mins – nope
- Half marathon: sub 2hrs – nope
- Do at least 20 parkruns, ideally seeing an improvement over the year – nope, I managed 12, with fairly consistent times
- Compete in at least 3 triathlons – yes! Three completed: sprint, olympic and half ironman
- Keep all 10 toenails intact – yes! It was a close run thing and my feet are terribly ugly but all toenails are present and correct
- More cycle touring! More adventures! – certainly lots of adventures but unfortunately no cycle touring
- Try something new – maybe orienteering? – I tried lots of new things (new job, new city, new boyfriend) and some of them worked out but some of them didn’t… those that didn’t, I fixed and tried something else new, meaning another new job starting soon!
- After totally nailing quite a few moves in swing dancing last year (I’m now quite happy with my swingout) I want to go social dancing more and then not be shy when I get there! – I gave this a go (even going social dancing the day of a half marathon) but once I moved city I found it hard to go at all as I was always working
- Be bold, be brave! – at times, I think I probably was
I’ve been thinking about my 2016 goals, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to the below – you may notice some similarities with last year…
[NB. I know that new year’s resolutions are a bit silly, and that making resolutions at this time of year doesn’t make them any more effective. And I know that setting myself arbitrary goals isn’t necessarily the path to happiness (from experience, I know I use (failure to achieve) these goals as a stick to beat myself with). And of course I know that every year throws up a load of stuff you can’t predict in the first few days of the year. So this is more a general framework for the year than anything too tangible.]
- Do more running (at least 5 half marathons and maybe a marathon), faster times obvs.
- 20 parkruns.
- At least three triathlons.
- Ride my TT bike instead of being scared of it.
- Go cycle touring!
- Move in with my boyfriend (OMG PROPER ADULT TIME).
- See my friends and family more instead of hiding away when things are tough.
- Would like to lose some weight/be a bit more toned.
- Be bolder, be braver…
Although 2014 didn’t always feel great, I actually did quite a lot.
- Ran my first (and to-date, only) marathon.
- Took up cyclocross and came 3rd in the summer league.
- Learnt to snowboard, resulting in my only unplanned trip to hospital.
- Cut all my hair off.
- Beat my 5k and 10k times from 2013.
- Ran 1,099.4km.
- Cycled 7,293.6 km, including a week across Germany and the Netherlands on my own.
- Went to see the Giro d’Italia in Northern Ireland and the Tour de France in Yorkshire.
- Watched my brother, the Iron Lamb, take part in Ironman Austria, where he achieved his sub-11 hour goal.
- Took part in my first triathlon.
- I also met Chris Hoy. I may not have mentioned that to everyone I know. Here is a photo of me and the Hoy as proof:
Every year I make resolutions, with varying levels of success. Here are some for 2015:
- Achieve the following running goals:
- 5k: sub 25mins
- 10k: sub 50mins
- Half marathon: sub 2hrs
- Do at least 20 parkruns, ideally seeing an improvement over the year.
- Compete in at least 3 triathlons.
- Keep all 10 toenails intact.
- More cycle touring! More adventures!
- Try something new – maybe orienteering?
- After totally nailing quite a few moves in swing dancing last year (I’m now quite happy with my swingout) I want to go social dancing more and then not be shy when I get there!
- Be bold, be brave!